Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Iowa Pride in Penn State Territory

I have only been here two days, and can already say my first trip back to Central Pennsylvania since the "Upset of the Year" is already going better than expected. I have made an extra effort to wear only Iowa apparel this week, and the dirty looks are coming from all directions. Carlisle, PA is a hands down Penn State paradise. Everywhere you turn, there is a blue lion, paw, or "We Are, Penn State" on a vehicle, shirt, or hat. Pittsburgh isn't even on the radar around here. But walking down the street in Hawkeye gear this holiday weekend gets me thinking I am a lot closer to Ames than originally predicted!

Complete strangers have scolded at me. An airport shuttle driver went out of his way to drop me off last because I made the mistake of telling him I was from Iowa. Even friends of mine have been less willing to acknowledge me until I remove the tigerhawk from my wardrobe.

One guy didn't believe that anyone around here was "dumb enough" to be an Iowa fan. Instead he just assumed I was a Pitt fan rubbing it in. He told me my break was up and it was time for me to return to my steel mill! When I finally got it through his head I attend the University of Iowa, he told me to go pick some corn and walked away.

My response to all of them is: It's Great to be a Hawkeye!!!

My friends who attend Penn State all believe they have the perfect comeback: 8-4.

That, of course, until I snap right back at them: How is your quest for a National Championship coming along?

No comments:

ESPN College Football Team